Monday, August 2, 2010

What becomes of an objectified love?

A few weeks ago, I was surprised when someone joked at me saying I was an atheist. Then, someone else said that based on his observations, I am someone who has a lot of questions. Someone who questions even my faith in Him. I found it difficult to explain my feelings. There were some mumblings on my part, but I stopped because I really can't explain it to someone who hasn't or wouldn't acknowledge having felt this deep emotion. It's indescribable.





I remembered those conversations after reading the following excerpt from the book Opening to God: A Guide to Prayer by Thomas H. Green, S.J.:

"... Imagine the relationship between a husband and wife who truly love each other. They live for each other day by day. There are good days and bad days, but both are part of a relationship which deepens with the years and gives meaning to both their lives. There are moments of intimacy when they are able to experience and to express all that they mean to each other.

... Suddenly a troubling thought comes to the wife, and she is moved to voice it. "What," she asks her husband, "is the relevance of our love for each other?" What a queer question that would be at such a time! He would be puzzled, surprised, irritated perhaps. The mood of their loving encounter would be broken.

Why? Because love is not relevant -- timely, opportune, pertinent, useful. Once lovers begin to ask these questions their love has become an object to be examined and not an experience to be lived. And love objectified is love distorted -- the very thought of it makes uncomfortable those who have known love.

It is the same way with the love of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment