Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Courage for Adventure

“It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.” - Alan Cohen

I found this quote from Jane Powell's Taming Your Internal Critic. It resounded with me especially these past couple of weeks while:

* finally doing something that I've been planning to do for the past couple of years;
* embarking on something that I didn't expect I would be open to doing; and
* trying to overcome my fear of what may happen if I let go of "the familiar and seemingly secure."

I feel excited and fearful. Excited because I'm finally doing something that I want. Fearful because I might be in way over my head on a decision that's adventurous for me; and because I realized I'm doing something that's no longer very meaningful for me, something which I thought I've always wanted to do for the rest of my life.

I'm fearful (a more apt term for it is eluding me at the moment) not because I don't believe I can do these things, but because I might regret "the familiar and seemingly secure." But, a big part of me says that I should welcome and embrace the coming change and let it flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment