Wednesday, July 1, 2020

100 Days in Quarantine

Or exactly 105 days in quarantine.

The first few days felt surreal. I sort of liked the first four weeks working from home. I woke up early as usual and enjoyed feeling the bright early sunlight streaming through the windows. I prayed and from time to time, do my yoga exercises. I spent my birthday with myself and received birthday wishes from the outside world especially from the people close to my heart. They made my day.
I felt great! I thought we'd be back to the normal pace of life after a month.

But, I was wrong.

The fifth week came and I started to feel hopeless, tired, bored, and a bit anxious about what's happening outside. I no longer like to wake up early or I woke up late because I could not sleep early. I sometimes caught myself staring at the ceiling for quite some time thinking of nothing or everything. I could not gather the energy to get out of bed the instant I woke up. I don't like to work. I could not understand what I am doing at work. Watching movies/tv series or reading books bored me. My chronic back pain is acting up. I'm not sitting properly all day even with my Backjoy. I felt disconnected from the outside world. I felt isolated but I also don't want to socialize or reach out to family and friends even through social media. I was not praying or exercising. Everyday was a struggle to even think.

After a few weeks of mentally, emotionally, and spiritually struggling, I felt so overwhelmed that I realized I just do not want to feel hopeless, tired, bored, and anxious. I have to do something. I started to pray again and clarity slowly replaced the clouds of obscurity. Prayer really works! I started my yoga exercises again, which helped me start sitting properly again. I realized sitting properly also allows me to breathe well, which supports my mental focus at work. I went back to reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan and actually enjoying it. I subscribed to Netflix and watched a movie and television shows that made me laugh. Laughter is really one of the best medicines especially during self-isolation. I felt good. I will never forget how these Korean TV Shows/Movie made me laugh and escape reality even for a little while:


Now, I still feel good. Although hopelessness, tiredness, boredom, and anxiousness may drag me down sometimes, but I know now what I should be doing to keep them at bay. Pray, exercise, and laugh -- in this order. Everything else will follow.