Sunday, November 4, 2012

Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral Parish

According to wikipilipinas, Spanish friars built Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Cathedral sometime in 1895 before Dipolog City became a municipality. Records also show that while Dr. Jose Rizal (the Philippines' National Hero) was in Dapitan during his exile, he designed the Cathedral's altar at the request of his former professor -- Fr. Jose Villa Clara.

After I saw a wedding picture of a high school classmate with the church in the background, I couldn't help admiring the newly renovated Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral Parish in my home city. Of course, that was a few years ago, and I only had the chance today to look at the church from the eyes of a tourist. So after Sunday mass, I walked around and took some pictures.

The Cathedral's altar. It's still the same design from the old one. It's just lighter, probably because of the new materials used during the renovation a few years ago.
The Cathedral's hardwood ceiling with images of the four Gospel writers: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  They have been there since I was a child. According to my father, these images were brought from Rome.
The angels are new to me. The material used for the Cathedral's outside walls are also new.
The Cathedral's facade. It's still almost the same as the old one, except for the main entrance. The entrance is wider but I think lower than it was during the old days,
A schedule of masses and other church activities.
A monument of the unborn. This was the first time I saw it and  I believe this is the first church I've seen that has this monument.


No comments:

Post a Comment