Friday, February 13, 2009

Defying Fear

 


v   The wise man in the storm prays God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Journals, 1833


  


v   I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. -- Frank Herbert, Dune. Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear


  


v    Don't waste life in doubts and fears; spend yourself on the work before you, well assured that the right performance of this hour's duties will be the best preparation for the hours and ages that will follow it. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson


 


v   You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -- Eleanor Roosevelt


  


v   If I can endure for this minute whatever is happening to me No matter how heavy my heart is or how dark the moment might be... If I can but keep on believing what I know in my heart to be true, That darkness will fade with morning and that this will pass away, too... Then nothing can ever disturb me or fill me with uncertain fear, For as sure as night brings dawning, my morning is bound to appear... -- Unknown


 


v   If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. -- Marcus Aurelius


  


v   I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear. -- Rosa Parks


  


v   Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. -- Mark Twain


  


v   Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. -- Ambrose Redmoon


  


v   Anything scares me, anything scares anyone but really after all considering how dangerous everything is nothing is really very frightening. -- Gertrude Stein


 


v   Anything I've ever done that ultimately was worthwhile... initially scared me to death. -- Betty Bender


  


v   I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today. -- William Allen White


  


v   Fear is just your feelings asking for a hug.  -- Danielle Sanchez-Witzel and Michael Pennie, My Name is Earl, "South of the Border Part Uno/Dos," original airdate 7 December 2006, spoken by the character Joy Turner


  


v   Being frightened is an experience you can't buy. -- Anthony Price - Sion Crossing (1984)

No comments:

Post a Comment